This page informs you of our policies regarding the collection, use, and disclosure of Personal Information we receive from users of the App. We use your Personal Information only for providing and improving the App as it concerns providing you with valuable business content, tools, and insights. We collect personal information about our users to provide our products, services, and customer support in the best manner. Our products, services, and customer support are provided through many platforms including but not limited to: websites, phone Apps, email, and telephone. The specific platform and product, service, or support you interact with may affect the personal data we collect. By using the App, you agree to the collection and use of information under this policy.
Types of Data collected
Among the types of Personal Data that this Application collects, by itself or through third parties, there are: first name; last name; gender; date of birth; phone number; address; country; state; email address; city; User ID; Cookies; Usage Data; profession; ZIP/Postal code; website; username.
Personal Data may be freely provided by the User, or, in case of Usage Data, collected automatically when using this Application.
Unless specified otherwise, all Data requested by this Application is mandatory and failure to provide this Data may make it impossible for this Application to provide its services. In cases where this Application specifically states that some Data is not mandatory, Users are free not to communicate this Data without consequences to the availability or the functioning of the Service.
Users who are uncertain about which Personal Data is mandatory are welcome to contact us.
Users are responsible for any third-party Personal Data obtained, published or shared through this Application and confirm that they have the third party’s consent to provide the Data to Powergy.
Methods of processing
Powergy takes appropriate security measures to prevent unauthorized access, disclosure, modification, or unauthorized destruction of the Data.
The Data processing is carried out using computers and/or IT enabled tools, following organizational procedures and modes strictly related to the purposes indicated. In addition to the Owner, in some cases, the Data may be accessible to certain types of persons in charge, involved with the operation of this Application (administration, sales, marketing, legal, system administration) or external parties (such as third-party technical service providers, mail carriers, hosting providers, IT companies, communications agencies) appointed, if necessary, as Data Processors by the Powergy. The updated list of these parties may be requested from us at any time.
Legal basis of processing
We may process Personal Data relating to Users if one of the following applies:
- Users have given their consent for one or more specific purposes. Note: Under some legislations we may be allowed to process Personal Data until the User objects to such processing (“opt-out”), without having to rely on consent or any other of the following legal bases. This, however, does not apply, whenever the processing of Personal Data is subject to Nigerian data protection regulation;
- The data subject has given consent to the processing of his or her Personal Data for one or more specific purposes.
- Processing is necessary for the performance of a contract to which the Data Subject is party or in order to take steps at the request of the Data Subject prior to entering into a contract.
- Processing is necessary for compliance with a legal obligation to which the Controller is subject.
- Processing is necessary in order to protect the vital interests of the data subject or of another natural person.
- Processing is necessary for the performance of a task carried out in the public interest or in the exercise of official public mandate vested in the controller.
- Data processing by a third party shall be governed by a written contract between the third party and the Data Controller. Accordingly, any person engaging a third party to process the data obtained from Data Subjects shall ensure compliance with the NDPR.
In any case, the Owner will gladly help to clarify the specific legal basis that applies to the processing, and in particular whether the provision of Personal Data is a statutory or contractual requirement, or a requirement necessary to enter into a contract.
1. Information Collection And Use
While using our App, we may ask you to provide us with certain personally identifiable information that can be used to contact or identify you.
2. The Kinds of Information We Collect.
We collect information to provide better services to all users of our Service, including determining what types of editorial content and the products and services offered on our Service that are of the most interest and relevance to you. We collect information about you from the following two sources:
a. The Information you give us. For example, many of our services require that you create an account. When you do, we’ll ask for personal information, like your name, email address, telephone number, physical address, credit card or other payment information, and other information listed. If you are purchasing products or services on our Service, purchase information such as the products or services purchased, the dates of purchase, and the purchase price.
b. The information we collect from your use of our Service. This information relates generally to what editorial and advertising content you view, and the products and services you use that we and our third-party providers offer. This information includes:
(i) Device Information, we collect information about the devices you use to access our Services, such as hardware settings, phone model, browser type, browser language, the date and time of your request, and referral URL.
[ii] Use of our Service
Service, including the following:
(a) details about how you have used our Service, such as your search queries;
(b) your IP address, which is the number assigned to an Internet-connected device such as a tablet or smartphone and used to identify the geographic location of that device; and
(c) cookies that may uniquely identify your browser and collect information about how our visitors interact with our Service, as well as help us identify problems such as error messages from certain pages. A cookie is a small file containing a string of characters that is sent to your computer or another device used by you when you visit our Service. When you visit our Service any time thereafter, the cookie allows our Service to recognize your browser and to store information about your user preferences and other personal information.
(iii) Location information: When you visit our Service, we may collect and process information about your actual location. We use various technologies to determine location, including IP addresses.
(iv) Local storage: We may collect and store information (including personal information) locally on your device, using mechanisms such as browser web storage (including HTML 5), which allows for data to be stored on a browser even after the browser has been closed and then reopened, and application data caches, which allow for data to be stored on your device, enabling an application to run without an Internet connection and to load content faster.
(v) Collection and Storage technologies. We and our partners use various technologies to collect and store information when you access the POWERGY Service, and this may include using cookies or other technologies to identify your browser or device. We also use these technologies to collect and store information when you access our Service and interact with the content and products and services we offer, such as electricity payment and energy-saving tips.
3. How We Use Information We Collect.
Like many site operators, we collect information that your browser sends whenever you load Our App, otherwise referred to as “Log Data”. This Log Data may include information such as your Phone’s Internet Protocol (“IP”) address, phone type, model, the section of our App that you visit, the time and date of your visit, the time spent on those sections, and other statistics.
More specifically, we may use your personal information for the following purposes:
- to provide the service or product you have requested;
- to facilitate the creation of a User Contract (see Terms of Service for more information);
- to provide technical or other support to you;
- to answer inquiries about our services, or to respond to a complaint;
- to promote our other programs, products, or services that may be of interest
- to you (unless you have opted out from such communications);
- to allow for debugging, testing, and otherwise operate our platforms;
- to conduct data analysis, research, and otherwise build and improve our platforms;
- to comply with legal and regulatory obligations;
- if otherwise permitted or required by law; or
- for other purposes with your consent, unless you withdraw your consent for these purposes.
The ‘lawful processing’ grounds on which we will use personal information about our users are (but are not limited to):
- when a user has given consent;
- when necessary for the performance of a contract to which the user is a party;
- processing is necessary for compliance with our legal obligations;
- processing is necessary to protect the vital interests of our users or another natural person.
- processing is done in pursuing our legitimate interests, where these interests do not infringe on the rights of our users.
We may use the name you provide for your POWERGY Profile across all of the services we offer that require a POWERGY Account, which is where the information you provide is maintained. Also, we may replace past names associated with your Powergy Account, so that you are represented consistently across all our services.
When you contact POWERGY, we retain a record of your communications to help solve any issues you might be facing or to maintain a record to assist with legal claims. We will keep these records for more than 6 years. Provided you have consented thereto, we may use your email address to inform you about the products and services offered on our Service listing, such as letting you know about upcoming changes or improvements.
Third party applications
We do not track our users across third-party websites and thus do not respond to Do Not Track (“DNT”) signals. However, some third-party websites do keep track of your browsing activities when they serve you content, which enables them to tailor what they present to you. If you are visiting such sites, certain website browsers allow you to set the DNT signal on your browser so that third-parties (particularly advertisers) know you do not want to be tracked.
Other disclosures and transfers
We may also disclose your personal information to third parties for the following purposes:
- if necessary to provide the service or product you have requested;
- we receive court orders, subpoenas or other requests for information by law enforcement;
- if otherwise permitted or required by law; or
- for other purposes with your consent.
Accessing, correcting, or downloading your personal information
You have the right to request access to the personal information POWERGY holds about you. Unless an exception applies, we must allow you to see the personal information we hold about you, within a reasonable time period, and without unreasonable expense for no charge. Most personal information can be accessed by logging into your account. If you wish to access information that is not accessible through the platform, or wish to download all personal information we hold on you in a portable data format, please contact our Privacy Officer.
You also have the right to request the correction of the personal information we hold about you. All your personal information can be updated through the user settings pages. If you require assistance please contact our customer support.
Exercising your other rights
You have a number of other rights in relation to the personal data POWERGY holds about you, however, there may be restrictions on how you may exercise the rights. This is largely due to the nature of the products and services we provide. Much of the data we collect is in order to facilitate contracts between users, facilitate payments, and provide protection for the legitimate users of our marketplace – these data uses are protected against the below rights.
You have the right to:
- seek human review of automated decision-making or profiling
- opt-out of direct marketing, and profiling for marketing
- temporary restriction of processing.
Direct marketing and profiling
Users can control what emails they receive through their settings page.
Erasure – Most personal information and user generated content cannot be deleted as they are used to support contracts between users, document financial transactions, and are used in protecting other legitimate users of the marketplace. In the case of non-personal data that can be linked with personal data, it will either be erased or otherwise anonymised from the personal data.
Temporary restriction to processing – under certain circumstances you may exercise this right, in particular if you believe that the personal data we have is not accurate, or you believe that we do not have legitimate grounds for processing your information. In either case you may exercise this right by contacting our privacy officer.
Unless not stated above, users may exercise any of the above rights by contacting our Privacy Officer.
The Data is processed at the Owner’s operating offices and in any other places where the parties involved in the processing are located.
Depending on the User’s location, data transfers may involve transferring the User’s Data to a state, or district other than their own.
If any such transfer takes place, Users can find out more by checking the relevant sections of this document or inquire with the Owner using the information provided in the contact section.
Personal Data shall be processed and stored for as long as required by the purpose they have been collected for.
- Personal Data collected for purposes related to the performance of a contract between the Owner and the User shall be retained until such contract has been fully performed.
- Personal Data collected for the purposes of the Owner’s legitimate interests shall be retained as long as needed to fulfill such purposes. Users may find specific information regarding the legitimate interests pursued by the Owner within the relevant sections of this document or by contacting the Owner.
The Owner may be allowed to retain Personal Data for a longer period whenever the User has given consent to such processing, as long as such consent is not withdrawn. Furthermore, the Owner may be obliged to retain Personal Data for a longer period whenever required to do so for the performance of a legal obligation or upon order of an authority.
Once the retention period expires, Personal Data shall be deleted. Therefore, the right of access, the right to erasure, the right to rectification and the right to data portability cannot be enforced after expiration of the retention period.
The purposes of processing
The Data concerning the User is collected to allow the Owner to provide its Service, comply with its legal obligations, respond to enforcement requests, protect its rights and interests (or those of its Users or third parties), detect any malicious or fraudulent activity, as well as the following: Contacting the User, Analytics, Interaction with external networks and platforms, Access to third party accounts, Content commenting, Content performance and features testing (A/B testing), Displaying content from external platforms and Hosting and backend infrastructure.
Contact form (This Application)
By filling in the contact form with their Data, the User authorizes this Application to use these details to reply to requests for information, quotes or any other kind of request as indicated by the form’s header.
Personal Data processed: address; city; country; email address; first name; last name; phone number; state; Meter Information.
Phone contact (This Application)
Users that provided their phone number might be contacted for commercial or promotional purposes related to this Application, as well as for fulfilling support requests.
Personal Data processed: phone number.
Mailing list or newsletter (This Application)
By registering on the mailing list or for the newsletter, the User’s email address will be added to the contact list of those who may receive email messages containing information of commercial or promotional nature concerning this Application. Your email address might also be added to this list as a result of signing up to this Application or after making a purchase.
Personal Data processed: address; city; country; date of birth; email address; first name; gender; last name; phone number; profession; state; ZIP/Postal code.
The rights of Users
Users may exercise certain rights regarding their Data processed by the Owner.
In particular, Users have the right to do the following:
- Withdraw their consent at any time. Users have the right to withdraw consent where they have previously given their consent to the processing of their Personal Data.
- Object to processing of their Data. Users have the right to object to the processing of their Data if the processing is carried out on a legal basis other than consent. Further details are provided in the dedicated section below.
- Access their Data. Users have the right to learn if Data is being processed by the Owner, obtain disclosure regarding certain aspects of the processing and obtain a copy of the Data undergoing processing.
- Verify and seek rectification. Users have the right to verify the accuracy of their Data and ask for it to be updated or corrected.
- Restrict the processing of their Data. Users have the right, under certain circumstances, to restrict the processing of their Data. In this case, the Owner will not process their Data for any purpose other than storing it.
- Have their Personal Data deleted or otherwise removed. Users have the right, under certain circumstances, to obtain the erasure of their Data from the Owner.
- Receive their Data and have it transferred to another controller. Users have the right to receive their Data in a structured, commonly used and machine readable format and, if technically feasible, to have it transmitted to another controller without any hindrance. This provision is applicable provided that the Data is processed by automated means and that the processing is based on the User’s consent, on a contract which the User is part of or on pre-contractual obligations thereof.
- Lodge a complaint. Users have the right to bring a claim before their competent data protection authority.
Additional information about Data collection and processing
The User’s Personal Data may be used for legal purposes by the Owner in Court or in the stages leading to possible legal action arising from improper use of this
Application or the related Services.
The User declares to be aware that the Owner may be required to reveal personal data upon request of public authorities.
Additional information about User’s Personal Data
System logs and maintenance
For operation and maintenance purposes, this Application and any third-party services may collect files that record interaction with this Application (System logs) use other Personal Data (such as the IP Address) for this purpose.
Information not contained in this policy
More details concerning the collection or processing of Personal Data may be requested from the Owner at any time. Please see the contact information at the end of this document.
How “Do Not Track” requests are handled
This Application does not support “Do Not Track” requests.
To determine whether any of the third-party services it uses honor the “Do Not Track” requests, please read their privacy policies.
Should the changes affect processing activities performed on the basis of the User’s consent, the Owner shall collect new consent from the User, where required.
To contact our Privacy Officer
If you have an enquiry or a complaint about the way we handle your personal information, or to seek to exercise your privacy rights in relation to the personal information we hold about you, you may contact our Privacy Officer as follows:
By Email: email@example.com
Owner and Data Controller
Detail and Avedia Limited. 2 Abebe Village Road, Iganmu, Surulere, Lagos, Nigeria.
Owner contact email: firstname.lastname@example.org
By providing your personal information and provided you have consented thereto, you acknowledge that it can be used by POWERGY and its various advertisers and other service providers to send you needed information and other communications concerning electricity tips, district notifications, products, or services. You can remove yourself from any such electronic newsletters and otherwise stop receiving any further promotions and other commercial communications by following the “unsubscribe” directions included with each newsletter or, in all of the above instances, by sending an email with the word “unsubscribe” in the subject line to email@example.com
Latest update: February 14, 2022